The Magpie Project have been announced as one of the three winners of the London Homelessness Awards 2019. We asked them to give us some facts and figures about the borough they work in and why the situation is increasingly serious
Five facts that illustrate the housing crisis in Newham.
- There are 2000 homeless children under five in Newham at any one time.
- 3,292 households were forced to accept accommodation outside of the borough in the five years from 2012.
- In the same time 2,500 homeless households were moved into Newham by other councils
- Some Newham families are being forcibly rehoused in Bradford – a distance of 207 miles
- One of our families has been forcibly moved on 8 times in just 6 months.
The first prize of £30000 and two runners up prizes of £20000 and £10000 will be announced by Deputy Mayor James Murray at a special ceremony at City Hall on October 17th. For more information about the shortlisted projects go to www.lhawards.org.uk and follow us @lhawards